What started out as a quick trip to the grocery store for Vivienne Wardrop ended up with her 10-month-old son, deathly ill.

Only a short 24 hours after going to the grocery store with her son Logan, the little boy became very sick and had to be rushed to the hospital.

The little boy ended up battling several different illnesses, including meningitis, for over a week. After investigating to find out where the child came into contact with the bacterial infection, it was suspected by doctors that the grocery store shopping cart was the probable cause.

Since the heartbreaking incident with her son occurred, Vivienne strongly suggests to other parents that shopping carts are always sanitized before their children are placed inside.


About 24 hours after being exposed to the bacteria at the grocery store, Logan began vomiting. To add to the problem, the baby also suffered with a high fever and severe diarrhea. "He had diarrhea everywhere," she said. "I was trying to give him a bottle and he was vomiting."

When Logan's condition continued to worsen, his mom brought him to the pediatrician. But, the doctor only sent her back home, thinking that a virus was to blame. Logan didn't get any better, and by the next day, he was suffering from dehydration.

His mom, didn't want to take any chances with her son's life, so she took him straight to the hospital, where doctors there saved his life. For the next 10 days, the poor little Australian boy battled his illness in the hospital.

The first 8 days of that time were spent in the intensive care unit, which was a traumatizing experience for them, as it would be for any parent. 

Logan was diagnosed with several different illnesses while staying at the hospital. These illnesses included: adenovirus, rotavirus, salmonella and meningitis. At such a young, tender age, this poor little child of 10-months had to fight for his life.


According to the CDC (Center of Disease Control) newborns and babies run a much higher risk for contracting meningitis.

Below are some of the symptoms to watch for:

* Fever, headache, and stiffness of the neck

* Irritation, lack of appetite, or inactivity


Most bacterial meningitis strains are spread from person to person, however some strains can be contracted by touching a surface.

After suffering through such a heartbreaking incident with her infant son, Vivienne knew that she had to warn other parents about the dangers posed by shopping carts.

Whenever shopping carts are used, make sure to disinfect the area using an antibacterial wipe before placing your child in the seat, or you should carry them instead. Another option would be to place a blanket over the seat and handle before putting your child into the cart. 

Please make sure to 'SHARE' this valuable and potentially life-saving information with family and friends on Facebook!

Everyone needs to be aware of this possible hazard!