Maxx, a family dog, has become a hometown hero since leading firefighters to two small children that were trapped in a house that was on fire.

The fire happened at the home of Margo Feaser, a Florida Sheriff's Department Investigator, who lives in Longwood, Florida. Luckily, Margo, her husband Brent and their two young children, ages 2 and 4, all made it out of the fire alive, and were taken to the hospital to recover.

The fire started around 11:20 at night, and the Feaser's neighbors, Chip Dover and his son Andrew, just happened to be outside when the fire started.

"We were outside with my telescope, looking at Jupiter with my next door neighbor," said Dover in an interview.

"We were getting ready to come in when we heard a big explosion, and the house just blew up."

"We ran over there immediately and it was burning like crazy, and then we realized the family was still inside."


So the Dovers sprang into action, breaking out the home's front windows with a lawn chair that was on the porch so that they could get the family out of the burning home.

Margo was rescued first, pulled to safety out of the window, and then firefighters came and were able to knock in the front door to rescue her husband Brent, who was also severely burned, according to reports.

Thankfully, Maxx, the family's German Shepherd was there to assist firefighters. They say that the dog brought them straight to the children's bedroom, which would have been very hard to find because of the heavy smoke caused by the fire.


The family was treated for burns and smoke inhalation. Maxx the dog was also taken to a vet where he was treated for smoke inhalation, according to a press release, but he is expected to make a full recovery.

A press release by Sheriff Don Eslinger said, "We are grateful to the neighbors who jumped into action, and we especially thank the firefighters who selflessly entered the burning structure and risked their lives for the Feaser family.

There is a long road of recovery and rebuilding ahead, but our Sheriff's Office family will be with Margo and her family every step of the way. We know our community is behind them too, and we appreciate the tremendous outpouring of support the family has received."

The State Fire Marshal's preliminary investigation shows that the fire was started accidentally on the home's back porch.


What a hero Maxx is! Especially considering the fact that all animals are instinctively petrified of fire and in most cases will flee the scene of a fire. Maxx is one courageous dog!

If you agree, please 'SHARE' this dog's heroic story with family and friends!