With every failed attempt to free herself from a muddy creek, Honey the horse was becoming more and more desperate.

The embankments were so slippery that she couldn't get a good enough grip to pull herself out.

After Washington State Animal Response Team (WASART) got the call about the horse, the team immediately hurried to where she was laying in the woods. She was frightened and exhausted.

When the rescuers arrived at the scene there was only about an hour of daylight left.

"The creek cut deep into the silt of the ground and the soft muck on the bottom of the creek made the situation dangerous," WASART posted on Facebook.

Unable to put a rescuer down in the mud with Honey because of the danger it posed- her thrashing about could have hurt someone trying to help her and no one, human or horse, could even stay upright in the slick mud.

"JC, one of our best horse handlers, would be attendant to the horse, meaning he'd work closest to her and try to keep her as calm as possible," WASART wrote. "He stood on the steep bank, talking to Honey."

A veterinarian stood close by, prepared to give Honey a sedative if she started to panic, meanwhile rescuers were preparing the complex system of ropes and harnesses they would need to try to pull the horse up from above.

After JC gained Honey's trust, he helped to put the support straps under her using a special guide that slid underneath the horse. "Honey's continued attempts to self-rescue made this difficult."

While all of this was going on, other members of the rescue team built a "bipod," which is a device that would help to lift Honey up from above.

"We were ready to go just as dark descended," WASART wrote.

Using spotlights, so that they could see clearly, the rescue team began lifting Honey. Because horses have very delicate legs, this could be very dangerous and being lifted in the air like that can cause horses to flail around if they panic.

"Honey cleared out of the water fairly easily, and seemed calm," WASART wrote.

"However, once in the air, she thrashed and we were very glad of the careful rigging which kept her and everyone safe."

But right as Honey was about to touch solid ground, she became spooked and started flailing about again. The vet was there to administer the sedative so that Honey wouldn't hurt herself at the very end.

"We continued to lower her. The sedative kept her from noticing the ground right away, but as soon as she did, she stood and was able to bear weight on all four legs."

Honey was able to stand on her own, and all of the rescuers could finally breathe a sigh of relief.

Once her epic rescue was over, Honey was able to rest and the vet examined her thoroughly for any injuries.

By some miracle, Honey appeared to be mostly unharmed.

"We've heard Honey has a few scrapes and scratches but is doing well," WASART wrote.

If you just loved the happy ending in Honey's incredible rescue, please don't forget to SHARE with family and friends!