The workers removed the animal from the hole very carefully, but it was so encrusted with mud and garbage the crew couldn't tell exactly what the animal was. When they first saw it, they thought it was a puppy, but they soon found out they were wrong.
They went to a nearby wildlife hospital for some help, and you won't believe what they learned.
PetsFans.com tells the story like this: "The story started when, on a normal work day in England, some construction workers had a task to do near an area close to London's Canary Wharf. While going on with their jobs, a few ground holes were left open.
The workers were startled when they heard a faint sound of cries coming from one of the open holes!
Imagine how heartbreaking it must have sounded. The workers didn't waste any time, they rushed to try and locate the animal, without even knowing what they should expect to find, or whether any of them could be in danger."
The workers quickly called specialists from the Essex Wildlife Hospital, who worked for hours, carefully cleaning the tiny animal.
Once the poor little thing was all cleaned up and carefully tended to, the workers were finally able to properly identify the animal that they'd found. It was a four month old baby fox.
They decided to call the fox Muddsey and commended the construction crew for rescuing him.
Su Schwar, the hospital's administrator said, "it would certainly have had a pretty awful death if it hadn't been found. It was very cold and in shock but is fine now. We felt sorry for him because he was completely caked and was absolutely petrified."
The efforts were applauded by others as well. One Green Planet wrote, "If rescuers hadn't found this baby fox trapped in a hole, who knows what could have happened to him?
With all that dirt on him and no mother in sight fretting over him, he must have been tough to spot. What a lucky guy!
While we're not sure if he's old enough to be out and about on his own just yet, he's in the capable hands of the veterinary staff at the wildlife hospital, who will help him learn to be the best fox he can be before they release him back into the wild."
Hero Viral wrote, "This 4 month old fox had actually fallen so deep that he couldn't get out himself.
As to why the fox came to the construction site, chances are the construction forced his family to move out of their home.
They gave the poor fox a bath and now he looks like a proper fox! According to the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), animals find themselves at threat against various land developments and hence they decide to move out and go somewhere else."
So happy for this poor baby that those construction workers found him when they did! They're truly HEROES!
Have you ever had to rescue an animal in need? If so, tell us about it in the comments section below.
And if this story's happy ending made you smile, please 'SHARE' it with family and friends on Facebook!
Let's spread the smiles!